Ligon School

The Ligon School was built in 1923 by the Slaughter family, who built the town of Ligon. The school opened with five students enrolled. Enrollment grew to twelve students by the end of the school year.

Ligon's first teacher was Hazel Kennedy, followed by Lois Parker. The third and final teacher for Ligon school was named Jean, who later married Sam Skein, a local cowboy. Among the first students at Ligon were Walter and Lawrence Knox.

The Ligon School building was moved from Ligon to Lehman in 1925 when the Ligon townsite was abandoned.


Source: Texas' Last Frontier: A New History of Cochran County by Elvis E. Fleming and David J. Murrah, 2001