Morton
The Morton townsite was staked in June 1923 by Morton Joe Smith and Lee Secrest and was named after Smith, who was Minnie Veal's land agent.
Smith built a small land office on the east side of the square, which stood for more than four decades and from which he conducted his land sales business. Later that same year, Smith built a general store on the southwest corner of the square, which he leased to the Street brothers of Littlefield. The Streets operated the store under the management of Bob Stein for a month. Smith sold the store to Jerry Lee Winder in January 1924. Winder's family alone caused the population of Morton to double.
Winder's General Store also served as the post office for Morton and was officially commissioned on March 22, 1924, with Mary Winder appointed postmaster. The post office eventually outgrew Winder's General Store and, in 1927, was moved into Lackey's Grocery Store on the east side of the square, with Mrs. Winder remaining as postmaster until 1943.
Winder's General Store still stands, having operated under many names over the years, including Minnie's Dress Shop, Price's, and The Morton Tribune. The building is now owned by Cochran County.
The first school building in Morton, Morton School, was completed in January 1924. Enrollment began with seven children at the start of the school term and reached thirty-three by the end of the term. Rupert McCasland, known as "Mr. Rupert," was the first teacher at the school. McCasland taught only that first year, as he was elected the first Cochran County clerk in May 1924.
The first church to be organized in Cochran County was the Methodist Church in 1924. The First Missionary Baptist Church followed on May 22, 1926, and the First Baptist Church on June 27, 1928. By this time, the population of Morton had grown to 200.
Despite drought, the Great Depression, and the Dust Bowl, the people of Morton remained optimistic during the 1930s. Seventeen businesses were in operation, and the population had grown to 210.
In 1933, the City of Morton was incorporated. Henry Cox was elected the first mayor, with Floyd Rowland and W. B. Lackey serving as the first city commissioners.
In 1934, the population of Morton increased to 699. F. F. Roberts was granted an electric light, heat, and power franchise, and Allsup's Garage, Doss' Grocery, and St. Clair's Department Store all opened their doors for the first time that year.
By 1935, Morton was home to a total of thirty-three businesses, with a waterworks system and the Wallace Theatre both under construction. In 1936, the "two-telephone" town was converted to a full-scale switchboard system by the Southwestern Associated Telephone Company. To finish out the 1930s, a butane and natural gas distribution system was installed on January 23, 1939.
The 1940s brought World War II. A total of 330 men from Cochran County served their country during World War II; 306 returned home.
On September 5, 1945, the town was shaken by the robbery of the First State Bank of Morton by Matt Kimes, leader of the notorious Kimes Gang, Ollie Melton, and Chick Rogers. The three men made off with $17,692.
Melton was eventually arrested in Oklahoma, and Rogers surrendered shortly afterward. Matt Kimes died from injuries received after being struck by a poultry truck while crossing the road in Little Rock, Arkansas.
In 1946, the primary school building burned down, and construction began on a new building while children attended classes in local churches.
The 1940s also saw the construction and opening of the hospital, the paving of city streets, and the installation of a dial telephone system and a natural gas system.
Another drought in the 1950s took its toll on dryland farmers, and the irrigation age began. The Rose Theater opened in July 1950, a new high school and gymnasium opened in October 1950, and the Last Frontier Rodeo began as an annual event.
The 1950s saw additional progress in Morton, including completion of the First Baptist Church auditorium, the County Activity Building, a new First State Bank building, a new junior high school, and a school cafeteria. The form of city government was also changed to a mayor and five aldermen.
During the 1960s, Morton's population reached 3,100, while KRAN 1280 and Roberts Memorial Nursing Home began operations.
Tremendous increases in natural gas prices brought a financial crisis to Morton in the late 1960s and early 1970s. A complete overhaul of the city's gas distribution system, along with key changes in staff, saved the city, but the population had already begun a steady decline.
Sources
Texas' Last Frontier: A New History of Cochran County by Elvis E. Fleming and David J. Murrah.
Cochran County Legacy, Vol. I, Cochran County Historical Commission.
Submit Town & Community History
If you have photographs, maps, documents, stories, family histories, or other materials relating to Morton that you would like to share on this website, please email Mary Helen McKnight.